Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University

From Indian Science Information

Jump to: navigation, search

Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University popularly known as HAU, is one of Asia's biggest agricultural universities, located at Hisar, Haryana. It is named after India's seventh prime minister, Choudhary Charan Singh. It is a leader in agricultural research in India and contributed significantly to Green Revolution and White Revolution in India in the 1960s and 70s. It has a very large campus and has several research centres throughout the state. It won the Indian Council of Agricultural Research's Award for the Best Institute in 1997.




HAU was initially a campus of Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana. After the formation of Haryana in 1966, it became an autonomous institution on February 2, 1970 through a Presidential Ordinance, later ratified as Haryana and Punjab Agricultural Universities Act, 1970, passed by the Lok Sabha on March 29, 1970. A. L. Fletcher, the first Vice-Chancellor of the university, was instrumental in its initial growth and established it as a leader among agricultural universities in India.


HAU has a sprawling campus that is very scenic and is regularly visited by local people for morning and evening walks. The buildings are well-designed with a modern external as well as internal architecture. There is a Central Campus Core formed by Fletcher Bhawan, Gandhi Bhawan, Nehru Library and Indira Gandhi Auditorium, around which the other buildings and facilities are built. The university has a total land of 29.15 km² (1291 km² at the main campus at Hisar, 10.68 km² Seed Production Farm at Hisar, and 5.56 km² at outstations).


HAU has seven colleges in the main campus at Hisar:

There are two additional Colleges of Agriculture at Kaul (near Kurukshetra) and Bawal (near Rewari).


In addition to the colleges, the university campus has the following important facilities:


The university has well-equipped laboratories that provide modern facilities like DNA sequencing, UV trans-illuminator, Polymerase chain reaction (PCR), FT-IR, gene gun, gene pulser, electron microscope, plasma spectrometer, X-ray diffraction, chromatography etc. Screen house, green house and transgenic green house are also available to researchers.

Experimental farms

The university has well a developed experimental farm of 9.94 km² at the main campus, and ten experimental farms at regional research stations, a total area of 5.68 km². These farms have both canal and tubewell irrigation facilities. Recently, the Government of Haryana has provided additional land of 16.08 km² to the university exclusively for seed production.

Regional centres

The university has an extensive system of research facilities spread throughout the state of Haryana.

Associated institutions


The Governor of Haryana is the Chancellor of the university and the Honorary Chairman of the Board of Management. The Vice-Chancellor is the working chairman of the board, and is the principal executive and academic head of the university. The Registrar for Academic and Administrative Affairs, the Comptroller for Finance and the Director of Students' Welfare are the chief administrative assistants of the Vice-Chancellor. The supreme academic authority is the Academic Council, chaired by the Vice-Chancellor. There are Board of Studies headed by Deans, one for each college in the university. There are some Non Statutory Committees to assist the general administration.


The university has a wide variety of programmes to offer. Admission to the undergraduate programmes (except B.Sc. Home Science) is through a Common Entrance Test that includes questions on Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Mathematics/Agriculture. Admission is offered in July in order of merit in two counselling sessions. 75% of positions are offered to residents of Haryana, and the rest 25% are filled through an all-India entrance test organized by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research.

Undergraduate programmes

Masters programmes

Doctoral programmes

Several departments in the College of Agriculture, College of Home Science, College of Animal Sciences, College of Veterinary Sciences and College of Basic Sciences & Humanities offer Ph.D. programmes as well.

Research and extension activities

The university publishes the largest number of research papers among agricultural universities in India. It has four official publications: HAU Journal of Research, Haryana Veterinarian, Haryana Kheti, and Thesis Abstracts. A Kisan Mela (Farmers' Fair) is organized every year in March to promote the spread of agricultural technology among farmers. Over the years, HAU has released several varieties of wheat, rice, millets, forage crops, cash crops like sugarcane, cotton and oilseeds, vegetables and medicinal plants.

External links

Personal tools
Info Navigation