Central Drug Research Institute
From Indian Science Information
Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow was formally inaugurated on 17th Feb 1951 by the then Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru. CDRI is one of the first and few laboratories that were established in India right after its independence.
CDRI is considered to be a pioneer research organization in the field of biomedical research. In this institute all the infrastructural facilities and expertise are available to develop a candid drug right from its concept to market. CDRI is a multidisciplinary research laboratory consisting of scientific personnel of various areas of biomedical sciences. For administrative and scientific purposes the Institute's manpower has been grouped into 17 R & D divisions and few divisions providing technical and scientific support.
Chemistry, Physics, Biology and pharmacology of drugs. Work emphasis is on drug development, design & process and Resource Modeling. Thrust area are
- Development of new drugs and diagnostics.
- Cellular and molecular studies to understand disease processes and reproductive physiology.
- Development of contraceptive agents and devices.
- Systematic evaluation of medicinal properties of natural products.
- Development of technology for drugs, intermediates and biologicals.
- Dissemination of information in the field of drug research , development and production.
- Consultancy and development of technical manpower.
- DR. Rakesh Tuli - current.
- DR. C. M. GUPTA 1997- 2007
- DR V P KAMBOJ 1992- 1997
- DR B N DHAWAN 1988- 1992
- DR M M DHAR 1984- 1988
- DR NITYA NAND 1974- 1984
- DR M L DHAR 1963- 1974
- DR B MUKERJEE 1951- 1963
- DIR EDWARD MELLANBY 1950- 1951
Central Drug Research Institute i.e. CDRI is located in Chattar Manzil Palace, Post Box No. 173 Lucknow - 226 001 (India).
Back to Science and Research Institutes